Are you up to date on the latest EV charging station requirements for condominiums? Whether you’re a condo owner, board member, or developer building a new project, it’s important to know what’s required of you and to abide by the new regulations. Follow this short guide to ensure that you’re following all the new rules and regulations set by our government.
In 2018, the province of Ontario released a new set of regulations regarding the installation of electric vehicle charging stations (EVCs) in existing condo corporations. These changes under the Condominium Act, 1998, set out new provisions for existing condominium corporations to obtain approvals to install EVCs and for owners to request approval to install their own. In addition, the new codes outline the requirements developers must fulfil on new projects.
How do existing condo owners and condo boards go about adding electric vehicle charging stations in existing condominiums?
Existing condo owners must make an application in writing to the corporation that includes all the costs, specs, required drawings and information regarding the installation. Within 60 days the corporation must accept or propose an alternate installation, unless the installation would pose a serious health or safety risk, undermine the structural integrity of the building or be contrary to Section 98 of the Act or to the Electrical Safety Code. In the event that it is rejected, a report must be provided outlining the reasons why. If agreed upon, the corporation and owner must then enter into a “Section-98 Agreement” within 90 days to modify the common elements and then have it registered on title of the owner’s suite.
If the corporation would like to add an EV charging station to the existing building, they would first need to determine if the cost of buying and installing the equipment would be less than 10 percent of the annual common expenses budgeted for the fiscal year and whether the charging station would impact the owners’ enjoyment of the common area elements. If met, the board can proceed to install the stations 60 days after issuing notice to the owners. If the conditions outlined above are not met, the board would then need to send out a notice giving owners 60 days to requisition a meeting and vote on the proposed installation. If the owners do not vote against it or 15% of the units have not requisitioned a meeting, the corporation could then proceed.
Newly built condos in Ontario need to come at least partially EV-ready. According to the new regulations, 20% of all spaces must have some form of Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) that are in compliance with the Act and the relevant electrical codes and legislation. It also stipulates that the remaining 80% of parking spaces must be designed to accommodate such infrastructure in the future. To ensure compliance, the rules are enforced by the building inspector and the Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) is enforced by the electrical inspector.
Regarding the type of EVSE required, the building code does not stipulate a specific brand or type. The building owner or designer will need to establish the charging level based on the operational needs of the building, the electrical system design, and the capacity to accept additional loads. The electrical inspector can help you determine costs and mitigate any challenges to installation.
Retrofitting parking spots can be challenging for condo corporations because of the cost involved and the special procedures required. At the same time, EVs are really starting to grow in popularity and therefore EVCs are increasingly in demand. Installing the stations now can help to attract new buyers and ensure the building does not lose value in the future. To mitigate any challenges and to keep up with ongoing regulation changes, condo boards and developers should seek the advice of an expert throughout the transition, design, and building process.
Looking to develop a condominium project in Toronto? We can help find you the right opportunity and ensure you’re following all the latest regulations. Our team at Medallion Capital is here to assist you with all your development and property management needs. Contact us today to learn more.